Wednesday, April 27, 2011

They Say/I Say -- Live and in-person

     This is funny when I think about the incident that took place today.  I am so proud of myself for exercising the They Say/I Say -- live and in-person.

I took my vehicle into Wal-mart for an oil change.  (I know, I know, THEY SAY never take your truck to Wal-mart but I SAY I have some research to do along with some shopping.)

THEY SAY may take an hour, hour-and-a-half at the most.

I SAY okay.  With my notebook in hand, I go to McDonald's for my research.  I place my order; A club sandwich, fries and soda.  Last time I was in a McDonald's was more than two years ago.  I didn't know they offer club sandwiches.  I wonder what I am about to eat.  I search for warning labels to discover there aren't any.  No nutritional print-out, poster, nope.  Nada.  Zilch.  I take my tray to a table and again, I search for nutritional labels or anything else that will explain to me (or warn me) about what exactly I am about to consume.  Once again, I find nothing.  How interesting, the paper liner on my tray announcing that "April is McReady Month".  I have never heard of this and so I scan the paper liner.  Oh, I get it, McDonald's is now targeting those afraid of tornadoes. . .interesting.

I search the grocery aisle to discover all the "fast food" on the shelves. . .

An hour-and-a-half later, I step to the service area and. . .

THEY SAY no, your truck is not ready yet.

I SAY how much longer?

THEY SAY not much longer.

Two-and-a-half-hours later. . .

THEY SAY we are working on it but it may take awhile.

I SAY let me speak to a manager.

THEY SAY (begrudgingly) okay.

A few minutes later, the store manager arrives.

I SAY I don't mind an hour or two but this is a bit ridiculous.  It's been over two-and-a-half-hours and your employees are just now starting on my truck.  Does it normally take over two-and-a-half-hours to do a simple oil change?

THEY SAY oh, we are sorry.

I SAY my time is is valuable.  I am a dissatisfied customer.

THEY SAY oh, let me fix this problem.

Manager steps around the counter, picks up the paperwork, checks the time to realize I was not lying about the length of time.  He jots something on the paper and then steps back to me. . .

THEY SAY your oil change is free of charge.

I am proud of myself.  and now I hear THEY SAY quit procrastinating on your essay Paula and get back to work.

I SAY okay, okay, I will get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment